Thanks to one of the regular insiders there’s more details about the changes over at WPLG in their preparation to drop the 5pm and 5:30pm newscasts.
– Wendy Corona is leaving WPLG at the end of her contract. This, from what I was told is her own choice.
– Kristy Krueger is moving to weekday mornings, she currently anchors 5pm and 5:30pm
– Diane Magnum is moving to weekend mornings, she’s currently anchoring the weekday noon newscast. Will Manso will be her co-anchor, with Jacey Birch doing weather. WPLG is “expanding the weekend mornings. Something like 3 hours Sat and 3.5 hours on Sundays”
– Todd Tongen will too be out at the end of his contract, he was told they won’t renew it. I think his contract is up sometimes next year.
– Gwen Belton‘s contract expires this fall, she’s also not going to be renewed.
– Mel Taylor‘s contract with WPLG also won’t be renewed
The insider says Todd Tongen was offered to do weekday morning entertainment but he declined. He probably reported on the latest hurricane to build his resume tape.